We highlight what to expect this quarter and recap Q4 2017’s key regulatory developments.
Q1 2018 – Four Things We’re Watching Right Now:
- Brexit negotiations will enter Phase 2. Will they provide more clarity to asset managers and beyond?
- Two of the biggest financials regulations of the decade, MIFID 2 and PRIIPs, are here. How will these significant regulations impact asset managers in early 2018?
- A new dawn for data privacy and protection arrives in May 2018 with the implementation of GDPR.
- We expect 2018 to be a year of action for the US Securities and Exchange Commission and other regulatory bodies. Stay tuned…
Q4 2017 – Four Key Developments to Be Aware Of:
- Q4 2017 saw a myriad of MiFID 2 announcements, statements, and press releases clarifying MiFID 2 ahead of the January implementation date. Then, the SEC and ESMA provided coordinated and welcome relief on research unbundling.
- The UK and EU made “sufficient progress” on three previously deadlocked issues: the free movement of citizens, a financial settlement to fulfill the UK’s existing commitments to the EU, and the Northern Ireland border.
- In November, ESMA published an important update on the EMIR variation margin rules for foreign exchange contracts, allowing national regulators to exercise discretion in implementing the margin requirements.
- In the US, the SEC weighed in on the DoL Fiduciary Rule’s implementation and amended the reporting modernization rules.
Top On The Regs Posts from Q4 2017:
- 2017: A Regulatory Reflection | Read more
- An SEC Move on ETF Rules? Not If, But When | Read more
- 5 Questions on Regulating ESG & Socially Responsible Investing | Read more
Want to receive On The Regs Quarterly Updates directly in your inbox? Click here to subscribe.